Today I am testing one application “iMesh V 10” for installation testing.I found some issues related with installation this product.
Approach: Exploratory testing
About the product:
The world’s best P2P file sharing community!
Download iMesh and get over 15 million songs and videos, all legal and free!
Sync with your iPod, listen to DJ stations, and discover new artists and much more.
Read more and download this product at http://www.imesh.com
____________Issues raised while Testing ______________________
Product to be tested: “ Imesh V 10 “ (download here http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/58043/imesh.html)
Time start and date: 7.15 PM 8-12-2010
Finished time and date: 9.30 PM 8-12-2010
Tester : Riyaj Shaikh (Its me )
System Software : Windows XP professional (SP2)
Processor : Intel P4
RAM : 256 MB
Applications required other than iMesh: windows add and remove programs, windows task manager , windows notepad
Mission: to find problems that might exist in installing the application iMeshV10
Issues raised :
1) After double clicking installer icon of the application, and click Cancel in between the process, it exit the installation process as expected. But It creates the shortcut file on desktop named “Continue iMesh installation”, without asking for it to make a file or not.
This might be a problem if a user doesn’t want to install the file. It creates unnecessary file on desktop.
2) After clicking on shortcut file on desktop “Continue iMesh installation”, it open window to install again. Here if we see in windows task manager, under applications tab, there is no application running under application tab on related with iMeshV10
3) Installer package allowed opening multiple instances of installation process. This might be problem for a user
4) Spelling and grammatical mistakes in license agreement
(Copy paste license agreement in MS word 2007 and add line numbers under “page layout” option)
1. Grammatical mistake on line 11.it should written as “click on agree ” or “click on agree button” instead on click agree
on line 43 .should be “Collectively “instead of “collectively”
on line 47 .should be “What is a Sample” instead of “what is a Sample”
2. Spelling mistake on line no 326.”therefrom”word , It should be “there from”
5) Change destination folder to Blank CD/DVD drive. Click on Ok. Application installer process takes long time to install or hangs up sometimes. Expected Result: It should not extract files in black CD/DVD drive, As there is nothing to store. :)
6) After installation process extracting files starts user can not stop the process as there no close/Quit button or a privilege for that.
Also, multiple instances of extracting files can not be stopped. Only way to End process is to kill the process by using windows task manager.
7) Application installation takes a lot of time to install “typical settings” for the first time.. (20 minutes on my PC)
8)Un-install package is not provided separately for this application. We have to use Windows’ Add or remove programs for un-installing.
9) Without providing specific reason in written for uninstalling, we can not proceed to un-installing. This might be problem for user who doesn’t want to give any reason.
11) After un-installation, the programs leave cookies and other files in the system. Following is the typical path and name of files.
iMeshMediaBar.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Aki\Local Settings\Temp\iMesh_DM
SetupDataMngr_iMesh.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Aki\Local Settings\Temp
iMesh_V10_en_Setup.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Aki\Local Settings\Temp\miaB0.tmp
and many more.
And Folder named “ imesh Applications” in program files.
12) We can install multiple times iMesh application without un-installing it. Application doesn’t gives error message to overrides the installed files. Or application is installed already. Please un-install it first then install again.
13) Memory allocation during installation is max. 56 MB.And size of installation file is 14 MB.This is more amount of memory used, so it can slower other processes running at the same time in the system.
14) Installer doesn’t come with the log file. So we can not have detailed analysis of what files are installed, saved on system and other useful analysis
_______________________End Of Report ________________